Springfield Fire Department
Olan Morelan is an Assistant Fire Chief at the Springfield, MO Fire Department where he has served the since 2002. Chief Morelan began his fire service career with the United States Air Force in 1995, as an apprentice firefighter before joining the SFD. He has held the ranks of Firefighter, Equipment Operator, Training Captain, and Division Chief prior to taking over the leadership of the Support Services Section as Assistant Chief in 2017. He is a graduate of the National Fire Academy Managing Fire Officer program, and is designated as a Fire Officer through the Center for Public Safety Excellence.
Michael J. Novak
Branson Fire Department
Mike Novak has over 29 years in the fire service where he started out as a volunteer firefighter and worked his way into a full-time position for Branson Fire Rescue, he currently is serving as the department training and safety officer. Mike currently holds the position of Region 7 Advocate Manager for the National Fallen Firefighters, Everyone Goes Home® Program (EGH). Mike is a certified EMT, Fire Service Instructor 2, Fire Officer 2, and a CFO, amongst many other fire service certifications.
• Participants are required to be licensed and insured to operate motor vehicles.
• 40 Hours
This course is designed for individuals who are new to the position of driver/operator, anticipate future promotion to that position or are preparing to sit for the State of Missouri driver/operator certification exam. In this class, participants will discuss duties and responsibilities of the driver/operator, apparatus maintenance, apparatus operation and positioning. Participants will operate fire apparatus in various situations and have an opportunity to complete their certification skill sheets.
Special Requirements: The following skills will need to be completed by the start of class.
- 4.2.1 Perform routine tests, inspections, and servicing functions on the systems and components – Skills Sheet #1
- 4.3.1 Operate a fire department vehicle – Skills Sheet #2
- 4.3.6 Operate a vehicle using defensive driving techniques – Skills Sheet #9
- A skills booklet will be sent to all participants prior to the class.
- This is a blended learning delivery course. See Blended Learning Requirements
- Participants are recommended to register by April 15. No students will be allowed to register after April 24.
- Participants will be required to complete the self-paced online instructional modules before May 24.
- At Summer Fire School, participants will attend the in-person skills practical followed by state skills evaluations.
- This class requires a computer, and internet access. Participants should bring an internet capable laptop to class.
- NFPA 1971 compliant firefighting ensemble, including turnout pants, coat, boots, helmet, gloves, and eye protection. PPE Requirements