- Hazardous Materials/WMD Incident Response: Awareness
- Equivalent programs will be considered with documentation of completion.
- SCBAs for each participant and air refill capabilities
- 1-5” x 5’ section PVC pipe, 4 shovels, booster line, 2-soft bristle brushes, pike poles, tarps.
- Appropriate site for diking and damming activities including water source
- 1 hr Legal
- 1 hr Interpersonal
- 14 hrs Technical
- 8 hrs Skill
Missouri Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST)
- EMS Non Core-24
Continuing Education Unit (CEU)
- In the lower division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 1 semester hour in Fire Science, Emergency Medical Service, Criminal Justice, or Hazardous Materials.
American Council on Education (ACE)
This course meets the objectives of NFPA 472, 2008 edition and OSHA 29 CFR1910.120 and looks at the tasks which are within the realm of the hazardous materials operations responder. Topics include an overview of hazardous materials, using the recognition and identification clues in risk assessment, basic monitoring, decontamination, estimating the likely harm and risks and determining the options of intervention and non-intervention. The course provides hands-on skills covering diking and damming, diversion, applying foam and performing emergency decontamination.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): The following gear is required to participate: helmet, bunker coat, bunker pants with boots, and gloves that met the NFPA standard 1971 at the time of purchase.
- Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA): Participants attending should bring their own pressure-demand type self-contained breathing apparatus and one spare cylinder. All air cylinders must be within hydrostatic date or will not be refilled and should be marked with departmental identification. Breathing apparatus must meet NFPA standard 1981. In addition participants must provide a Nomex or PBI protective hood. Individuals with beards, sideburns or other hair styles that interfere with the proper seal of a breathing apparatus face piece will not be allowed to participate in classes requiring SCBA use.
Note: Protective hoods over beards are not approved.